At The Duchess’s Community High we expect everyone will take responsibility to contribute positively and creatively. Students will take pride in our achievements and continue to grow and develop as special human beings as well as appreciate, value and support each other.
In 1808 the Duchess Julia founded a small school for twenty girls in one of the Duke’s houses in Walkergate. By 1820 the numbers had grown to fifty and the school moved to larger premises in Canongate where it remained until 1888.
The school then moved into the Bailiffgate building. It was an entirely private school until 1903 when it was recognised by the Northumberland County Council as a County Secondary School.Read More