The Science industry is only going to continue to grow as society becomes more dependent on technology. We need to adapt to our surroundings, build on theories using evidence to promote a healthy, sustainable future for all. We aim to do this through interesting and exciting methods whenever possible so that we harness the natural curiosity of our students.
KS3 National Curriculum (not examined) – Science Programmes of Study: Key Stage 3
Each topic is tested using exam style questions where some questions require retrieval of knowledge from previous topics in the year or previous year of study.
Each GCSE is assessed in formal exams in May/June of year 11. All students do 6 exams; 2 each for Biology, Chemistry and Physics. GCSE Combined Science exams are 1 hour 15m. GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics exams are 1 hour 45m.
GCSE Biology- https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/biology-8461
GCSE Chemistry- https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/chemistry-8462
GCSE Physics- https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/physics-8463
GCSE Combined Science- https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/combined-science-trilogy-8464
– GCSE Combined Science- https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/examspecs/z8r997h
– GCSE Biology- https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/examspecs/zpgcbk7
– GCSE Chemistry- https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/examspecs/z8xtmnb
– GCSE Physics- https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/examspecs/zsc9rdm
– Kognity (Y11 only)- https://app.kognity.com/
– GCSE Pod- https://members.gcsepod.com/login
– KS3 Science- https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/zng4d2p
– DCHS Science Revision Site- https://sites.google.com/dchs-alnwick.uk/sciencerevisiondchs
Students take part in Science careers lessons during careers week and link their learning to the work of real scientists.
A list of jobs in the Science Industry with further information can be found here; https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/science-and-pharmaceuticals/graduate-jobs-in-science-and-pharmaceuticals
Non-graduate routes into STEM careers- https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch
Mr A. Dowson (Head of Biology)
Mrs N. Gair
Mr T. Hillman
Mrs N. Hutchinson
Miss V. Leishman
Mrs K. Middlemist
Mrs S. Bowden (Head of Chemistry)
Mrs G. Gustard
Miss G. Hogg
Ms C. Tennant
Mr D. Rowley (Head of Physics)
Mr P. Batley
Mr S. Wilkinson